Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Empress Unveiled by Jenna Morland


I was very excited for this novel to come out. I follow Jenna on Facebook and Instagram, and I am friends with her sister, so I heard a lot about this novel before it finally ended up in my hands. All of the anticipation was worth it. I start writing this review before I have finished the book, but only so I can get my thoughts on what has happened until now before all hell breaks look in the book.
** THERE WILL BE SPOILERS*** so if you do not want to hear about things that happen in the book, please stop reading now.

I am 73% finished as of writing this part of the review... we will see if my views change but as of right now I am on #TeamTyler. I always love the best friend who is in love with the protagonist in most stories. He has been there for her through everything she has gone through. How can you do anything but love him? Yes he is a teenage jock who can be an ass, but only when his ego gets bruised or hes trying to protect his own feelings. I am happy to say that Mellie thinking she had a chance then being publicly "humiliated" by Tyler and Swayzi kissing was perfect in my mind.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest lets talk about the story. When I first heard that her name was Swayzi, I was worried this was going to be an interesting book. Once you get to know the characters and reason behind how she was named, then it makes too much sense. The beginning of the story plays with your heartstrings. She's going to die. Most people know there would be no story if she actually dies, but Jenna still makes you feel for Swayzi, Linda (her mom), Penelope and Tyler. They all think she will die and are doing what they can to make her last part of life the best they can.

From the very beginning you can tell Tyler is in love with her. He never goes to far away in case something happens to her, he feels he needs to be there. He is very protective of her, which you can tell when she breaks down at Mellie's party. Can I just say... I HATE MELLIE!! She is the embodiment of the type of girls I cannot stand in life.

Tyler and Penelope save Swayzi from the party and her breakdown. Tyler later sneaks into her room and takes her away to hopefully make the night better and to talk to her. This is when it starts to get interesting, as Sway sees three people supposed to be getting executed, screams and saves them. Dayan is now into the story.

I know some people are #TeamDaylan, and hes kinda awesome... but he needs to find someone else to love in my opinion. Like I said, that opinion may change based on what happens next.

Swayzi keeps hoping to see Daylan again, and when she does she also is feeling better which we find out she has been magically healed, at least temporarily. Daylan is a Faerie and here to try and protect Sway now, along with his siblings. Swayzi finds out about this, and that her best friend Penelope is a witch all within a short period of time. Just after they all get attacked by the bad guys minions. The bad guys name is Medallion, hes an evil Faerie who wants to do bad things. Everyone makes it out of the fight, and it all becomes real to Swayzi.

She also finds out that the magic keeping her alive is coming from Daylan, because of his life in Empress which is where Swayzi's father was the king. She has to be ready to fight to take back the throne, move away from her mother and Tyler, and be a Queen, all while being a teenager who is in love with two guys. Classic YA fantasy story line, but written really well.

Time to finish the novel so I can finish this review... which I will also leave this part in because, you know, whimsy.

I finished it. Loved the battle and how Tyler showed up after Swayzi said whatever she could to hurt him so he would stay home. Using a gun to try and take down a faerie was great. Finding out that the Aura around the Tengu was not real was a nice twist. My heart broke a bit when Medallion's sword went through Tyler, and essentially killed him. Or did he? I guess we wait til book two to find out, but I do not think he has died and I am still firmly on Team Tyler.

The epilogue is a little heart wrenching when Linda gets home to celebrate Swayzi's birthday to find out she had gone. I could feel how devastated she was when she read the letter, and the hope when she ran to Tyler's house. Hopefully knowing Tyler is with her will make Linda feel better, until Swayzi returns home... because I have a feeling she will. She will be Queen but she will find a way to make it work so she can be with her mom and Tyler.

Well done Jenna, this was one of the best novels I have read from a first time author. I did not feel like there was any filler or dead story spots, and the writing was really good. Can't wait for book two!

No comments:

Post a Comment